Saturday, August 13, 2011

I heart the Brown County Fair

I have a love affair with the Brown County Fair. Shhh! Don't tell my wife!

I don't know what it is about it. I like many of the other county fairs around the area that I cover on an annual basis, but there's something about the Brown County fair that always lends itself to good pictures.

Perhaps it's the volume of classic, brick buildings on the fairgrounds. Maybe the atmosphere? I'm not sure. But each year I go to the Brown County Fair I come back with at least one picture I really like.

The photo above is one of the first photos I shot at the Brown County Fair in New Ulm after moving here back in 2002. Everything seemed to come into alignment when I went into the sheep barn: The light, the composition, the moment between a young 4-Her and her sheep. I still like this photo.

The photos below I've shot in New Ulm over the past few years. Each one of them has a special place in my heart, and I may never know why. The Brown County Fair just seems to be one of those places where I can wander in, stroll the grounds for an hour or two and find a plethora of great pictures.

Evening light strikes a cow as she's led back to her stall.

Andrew Scholtz shows his prospect steer during the 4-H Beef Show.

Mike Griebel helps his son Isaac get his cow ready outside the cattle barn.
Bethany Seifert sits with her cow.
A rabbit checks out the competition during judging.


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

the picture from 2002 also has a special place in my heart, the young 4-her is my daughter who at the time was in her second year of 4-h. She has now completed her 11th year and still becomes very attached to her sheep. She has competed at the state fair 5 times and has had champion ewe lamb 3 years and received purple ribbons the other two years. It really makes a parent proud to watch as their child grows and gains responsibility through 4-h. My daughter has 3 years left in 4-h, maybe you will catch her in another photo before she is done. Thanks for the support of our fair.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.