Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Another blast from the Free Press' past

Here are some more images from my journeys around the Free Press building. Since my last post I've been trying to figure out what these pictures say about the Free Press, and the newspaper industry in general. They certainly tell the story of a newspaper that has seen many changes in its 125 year history. Many have a "land that time forgot" feeling.

The more I look at them, though, the more I see resilience. As some things get put aside and collect dust others get used more and more. All those tools that get put aside remind us of where we've been, and as George Santayana wrote, "Those who cannot remember the past are doomed to repeat it."

Newsprint roll on the press.
Negative file.

Well-used keyboard.

Typewriter hammers.
Tracks for loading paper rolls onto the press.



No comments: